1. How cold is it at night in Kenya?
It gets down to about 55°F at night. The University of Eastern Africa, Baraton is in what’s considered the Highlands, even thoughthey are just a few degrees above the equator, it is a higher elevation. By 1 o’clock, you won’t want to be wearing a coat. You’ll probably want one as soon as the sun sets, or when you are standing in the shade early morning and late afternoon, however. I found a lab coat to work just fine for my morning transport or walk to the clinic. But I would definitely have a coat because there’s a good reason the Maasai wear that blanket all the time.
Dress in layers.
2. How hot is it during the day?
It’s a high of mid 70s. Don’t be fooled by the thermometer. It’s intense heat and you’ll get hot standing in the sun before long. If you are doing the Safari's, wear a hat or wear sunblock. I got burnt without realized it my first time there.
3. Drinking water? People living in South Africa have said do not drink the water nor use it for brushing your teeth. Will we have a source of bottled water?
At the University they filter and bottle their own water. They’ll be no shortage of it I promise you. And you’re fine using the sink water to rinse your teeth with when you brush. I did and didn't get sick. But that's me. You are welcome to use the bottled water for your oral care.
At the Safari location, they have there own well. No need to worry about contamination there. The owner is an American and has very high standards.
4. Who is the travel agent that we will be working with? I am presuming you are helping us get the correct flight arrangements made even-though we are not on the same flight as you.
Your destination to arrival is: NBO (Nairobi, Kenya)
3300 Holcomb Bridge Rd
Norcross GA 30092
770.396.9988 ext 114
800.622.2335 ext 114
5. You say to bring a heated blanket. Are there regular blankets and pillows provided?
I’m suggesting you bring a heating pad. Or, you could bring a heated lap blanket. Not necessarily a heating blanket. It will take the chill off of the underside of you between you and the mattress. Yes, they have extra blankets there.
6. Tips? A gift of $2-3 US... that's a one time thing and we should be brining US currency along with us? (I plan to have my shillings ahead of time through Wells Fargo Bank)
Yes. It could be a dollar. Two will buy a meal for a student at their cafeteria.
You can bring US currency for that. You can also get KSh at the airport. That's where I do it. It's on your way to baggage claim.
Tip your driver to and from the Safari $5-10.
7. Please explain why and which bags we would leave with a driver on Friday 3/17.
Any donations that go to the Olmakaika trust for the second half, the Safari part of our trip, can be put in one suitcase and given to our driver before we leave for the first leg of out trip. That way you don’t have to lug them up to Baraton and have that extra bag on the plane. If your donations are not quite a full luggage bag, then bring a strong leaf bag with tie to put them in and he will take care of it.
8. How many bags are we allowed? I was picturing my backpack for a carry-on, a large personal checked suitcase and a checked suitcase packed with supplies.
If you fly on Qatar air, you are allowed three (3) bags through our travel agent. She has made an arrangement for people who are doing mission trips to have an extra bag. If you are taking just 1-2 bags, please notify me, as I need additional dental supplies brought, and they can be shipped to you instead of me, from the company. All bags have to be 55 pounds or less for the domestic flight (which I will be purchasing for you as part of your package you paid for).
3300 Holcomb Bridge Rd
Norcross GA 30092
770.396.9988 ext 114
800.622.2335 ext 114
9. What groceries/ meals will we be responsible for?
For the trips we go on where the Safari agent is not personally available to help in this respect, I’m arranging for a Chef/cook To prepare your meals for you. I have a suggested menu that will be very simple. He said he will get the groceries for that on your way down to the Safari.
Spaghetti and a lettuce salad for one meal, sandwiches for another when you’re going to be out all day the day of the balloon ride, and I forget what else was provided, but it was all very good. I am having this young man make the meals for you, it frees up your time because you’re actually not going to have a whole lot of it once you get down to the Maasai Mara.
10. Do you have a sphygmomanometer and stethoscope or should I bring my own?
You should bring your own stethoscope and blood pressure cuff.
Please label it with your name and phone number.
11. Do you have a source for blood sugar monitor and test strips?
No. If you are able to get those donated, please let me know.
12. What is the protocol if a pt tests high for Blood Sugar or Blood Pressure?
Simply record with the blood sugar and blood pressure numbers are and circle it. The dentist will decide whether or not they are going to treat the patient because it depends on what service they need.
13. How many patients will we treat in a day?
I would like people to treat as many as I can. I’m going to ask that people take their lunch break in rotation. We are not going to all break at the same time for lunch because people will leave and they won’t come back. Lunch will be brought to us because that’s the most time effective way to take care of it. we will have at least 10 dentists rendering treatment every day, and hopefully six dental hygienists.
14. How much time will be be given per patient?
We are going to have a long line of people who are going to want their teeth cleaned. Spend the time necessary to do their cleaning so that they can save their teeth, but don’t make it state board perfect. It will help a lot if we have cordless prophy handpieces so that we can polish with coarse paste to remove residual calculus.
15. You gave a link for Cavitron and Peizo inserts, Does that mean they have the units available? Or do we need to be asking about renting units?
This place has only what we left behind: 2 piezo units. Two Hygienists that came with me last time, if they come again, will have their own units that they purchased also.
I have been promised a compressor. I am not certain if we will have the water/air quick connect attachments. This, along with the Cavitron devise and tips themselves, will determine if Cavitron‘s can be used. In the meantime, I would simply count on needing a Piezo for yourself. Where you rent or purchase is up to you. They are just under $200 through eBay.
16. Do their dental units have suction? Should we be brining saliva ejector and HVE inserts?
Yes. A dentist is coming who created portable dental units. I have asked him to bring 10. Five (5) for DDS and five (5) for RDH. We will have suction and will need saliva ejector's. I will keep people abreast of this process.
17. How far in advance will we be booking our tickets? Do you know if travel insurance covers weather cancellations?( getting in and out of ND in March can sometimes be delayed by snow and ice.
I would buy your ticket in January. It’s going to cost me $900 (if purchased in January) from LAX to Doha to NBO. Check with Christiane on a Tuesday, I suggest.
18. Also wondering about the travel coffee pot. I am not a coffee drinker and wondering if everyone needs to put that extra weight into their suitcases
I use it to create instant hot water to be able to wash my face in the morning in the evening because the sink only has cold water. If you feel good with a shower, you can get warm water to come out of that. It’s never really hot. It’s tolerable for taking a shower in, but it’s not warm enough for me for washing my face. If you want to use mine for hot water, I’m happy to share it. It heats in literally 90 seconds. I bring a silicone collapsable food container, boil my water, pour in about 1" of boiling, add some cold water so I don't burn myself, and submerge my facecloth in it for a nice *warm* end to my day. :-D. It feels so good!
Do I have to buy the domestic flight?
No. I will be doing that for you. This is why I will need your passport information once you decide to come.
Why do I have to provide my Passport information?
There will be a domestic flight after your arrival.
I will need your passport info for purchasing that.
Once you decide to join the trip, you can supply it then.