It gets down to about 55°F at night. The University of Eastern Africa, Baraton is in what’s considered the Highlands, even thoughthey are just a few degrees above the equator, it is a higher elevation. By 1 o’clock, you won’t want to be wearing a coat. You’ll probably want one as soon as the sun sets, or when you are standing in the shade early morning and late afternoon, however. I found a lab coat to work just fine for my morning transport or walk to the clinic. But I would definitely have a coat because there’s a good reason the Maasai wear that blanket all the time.
Dress in layers.
2. How hot is it during the day?
It’s a high of mid 70s. Don’t be fooled by the thermometer. It’s intense heat and you’ll get hot standing in the sun before long. If you are doing the Safari's, wear a hat or wear sunblock. I got burnt without realized it my first time there.
3. Drinking water? People living in South Africa have said do not drink the water nor use it for brushing your teeth. Will we have a source of bottled water?
At the University they filter and bottle their own water. They’ll be no shortage of it I promise you. And you’re fine using the sink water to rinse your teeth with when you brush. I did and didn't get sick. But that's me. You are welcome to use the bottled water for your oral care.
4. Who is should you fly with?
Qatar Air, preferably.
British Air seems to loose luggage of two of every group. Not sure why.
Turkish Air is less but also is late, and I have missed my connection and had to stay 24 hours til the next flight. There is only one per day to Nairobi. Almost none of the employees there in Istanbul speak English. It was very frustrating.
5. You say to bring a heated blanket. Are there regular blankets and pillows provided?
I’m suggesting you bring a heating pad. Or, you could bring a heated lap blanket. Not necessarily a heating blanket. It will take the chill off of the underside of you between you and the mattress. Yes, they have extra blankets there.
Use a transformer AND an adapter. You will need both.
6. Tips? A gift of $2-3 US... that's a one time thing and we should be brining US currency along with us? (I plan to have my shillings ahead of time through Wells Fargo Bank)
Yes. But please do not tip the students. Please.
You can bring US currency for that. You can also get KSh at the airport. That's where I do it. It's on your way to baggage claim.
Tip your driver to and from the Safari $5-10.
8. How many bags are we allowed? I was picturing my backpack for a carry-on, a large personal checked suitcase and a checked suitcase packed with supplies.
If you fly on Qatar air, you are allowed two large checked bags. If you are taking just 1 bag, please notify me, as I may need additional dental supplies brought, and they can be shipped to you instead of me, from the company. All bags have to be 55 pounds or less for the domestic flight (which I will be purchasing for you as part of your package you paid for).
1. Any meals prior to arriving on the Univeristy campus
2. Dinner on transition day, Wednesday night, after arriving in Nairobi. You will be taken somewhere on your way to the hotel.
3. Meals after being dropped off at the airport Sunday after the Safari
10. Do you have a sphygmomanometer and stethoscope or should I bring my own?
You should bring your own stethoscope and blood pressure cuff.
Please label it with your name and phone number.
We would like to use it for the screening area.
11. Do you have a source for blood sugar monitor and test strips?
No. If you are able to get those donated, please let me know.
12. What is the protocol if a pt tests high for Blood Sugar or Blood Pressure?
The dentist will decide whether or not they are going to treat the patient because it depends on what service they need.
13. How many patients will we treat in a day?
For the study, treat as many as you can thoroughly do. This is not "do as many as you can" type of clinic. This is for a study--so please be consciencous.
1. Disclose and do the plaque score.
2. Peizo/cavitron off as much as needed for probing properly.
3. Full mouth probe and record /w assistant.
4. Finish cleaning and polish if you can. Get the rubber cup as far sub-G as possible. Irrigate with piezo after to remove grit. This will give the patient the best possible chance of healing and consistent protocol among all hygienists.
14. How much time will be be given per patient?
Spend the time necessary to do their cleaning so that they can have a clean slate for the study. Then polish with coarse paste to remove residual calculus.
15. You gave a link for Cavitron and Peizo inserts, Does that mean they have the units available? Or do we need to be asking about renting units?
This place has only what we left behind: 3 piezo units. Two Hygienists that came with me last time, if they come again, will have their own units that they purchased also.
We have a small compressor. I am pretty certain we will have the water quick connect attachments. This, along with the Cavitron devise and tips themselves, will determine if Cavitron‘s can be used. In the meantime, I would simply count on needing a Piezo for yourself. Whether you rent or purchase is up to you. They are just under $200 through eBay.
I will be doing my best to raise funds to purchase cavitrons through a convention special I secured in May.
16. Do their dental units have suction? Should we be brining saliva ejector and HVE inserts?
Yes. You will have a saliva ejector. It will be a separate unit from the dental unit because the compressor cannot handle having 2 people use suction at the same time. Add a polish activity, and it shuts off. Individual suctions are very likely going to be secured before October.
17. How far in advance will we be booking our tickets? Do you know if travel insurance covers weather cancellations?( getting in and out of ND in March can sometimes be delayed by snow and ice.
I would buy your ticket ASAP. It’s going to cost about $1100 from LAX to Doha to NBO. Check google flights using an Incognito window on a Tues or late Monday night. That is the day it's the least costly to purchase.
18. Also wondering about the travel coffee pot. I am not a coffee drinker and wondering if everyone needs to put that extra weight into their suitcases.
The second time to Baraton I used it to create instant hot water to be able to wash my face in the morning in the evening because the sink only has cold water. If you feel good with a shower, you can get warm water to come out of that. It’s never really hot. It’s tolerable for taking a shower in, but it’s not warm enough for me for washing my face. If you want to use mine for hot water, I’m happy to share it. It heats in literally 90 seconds. I bring a silicone collapsable food container, boil my water, pour in about 1" of boiling, add some cold water so I don't burn myself, and submerge my facecloth in it for a nice *warm* end to my day. :-D. It feels so good!
The recent trip to Baraton I used the silicone container and the hot water from the shower head. I will not bring the coffee pot in October. It's heavy.
19. Do I have to buy the domestic flight?
No. I will be doing that for you. This is why I will need your passport information once you decide to come.
20. Why do I have to provide my Passport information?
There will be a domestic flight after your arrival.
I will need your passport info for purchasing that.
Once you decide to join the trip, you can supply it then.
When you go into ANYONES home in Kenya, you take off your shoes. I bring slippers because it's COLD in bare feet. We will be eating at the Vice Chancellors home, probably the Dean of the Masters programs home, and the home of the Dean of Health Sciences. :-D They consider it an honor to have us.